The management of HIFL ( Higher Institutions Football League) have announced the final list of universities that qualified to take part of the 2020 season.
The qualified teams for this year edition is lesser than the 2019 season with 40 teams as teams like Delta State University, University of Port Harcourt, University of Abuja, University of Benin failed to make the list of teams that meets the criteria for this season.
The past two seasons have seen have seen this same teams making the final four and finals with University of Calabar and University of Agriculture, Makurdi winning the first and second edition of the tournament.
Below is the list of 25 universities that qualified for the 2019/2020 season.
1. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University – Bauchi
2. Adekunle Ajasin University – Akungba
3. Afe Babalola University – Ado-Ekiti
4. Ahmadu Bello University – Zaria
5. Alex Ekwueme Federal University – Ebonyi.
6. Bayero University- Kano
7. Benue State University – Makurdi
8. Federal University Lokoja
9. Federal University of Agriculture – Makurdi
10. Federal University Oye-Ekiti
11. Federal University Of Petroleum Resources – Effurun
12. Federal University of Technology – Akure
13. Federal University Of Technology- Minna
14. Ignatius Ajuru University Of Education – Port Harcourt
15. Kano State University Of Science and Technology- Wudil
16. Kogi State University – Kogi
17. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology – Lagos
18. Lagos State University
19. Niger Delta University- Wilberforce
20. Nnamdi Azikiwe University – Awka
21. Obafemi Awolowo University – Ile-Ife
22. Onabisi Onabanjo University – Ondo
23. Osun State University.
24. University Of Calabar
25. University Of Ilorin
26. University of Lagos
27. University of Maiduguri
28. University of Nigeria
29. University of Uyo.
Higher Institutions Football League (HiFL) is an annual football competition for higher education institutions in Nigeria.
The League is open to all member universities of the Nigerian University Games Association (NUGA) and all games except the Final Four are played in the campuses of participating schools.
Winners of the League are scheduled to represent Nigeria at the Summer Universiade of the International University Sports Federation (FISU) games.